Sunday, May 25, 2014

What's your excuse?

Hi, This is Cathy--

I went to visit Ali on Thursday and part of Friday.   So chronologically this post should've been made before Desi's last one....but I'm a little bit slow.     My sister Jenny was there too. We walked, talked, ate good food (thanks to Jen) and watched a movie.  We also texted with our other sister Amy (so it was like a sister's weekend get away?)  Only next time we're planning a tropical location!     As I drove home in the car, I had a few hours to think about my time with Ali.   I titled this post, "What's your excuse?" because as I reflected on some of the challenges she is facing, I realized that I still make excuses for certain lazy behaviors.    I just wanted to share a couple of the ways that I have come look to Ali for inspiration in my own life.

First, a few months back, Ali shared with me that it was through the first cancer experience that she began to better understand the role of the Savior and it became very real to her.  As I have talked with her through both cancers, I can feel a spiritual power in her life.  To be with her and Desi and their family feels like a spiritual experience, and they have gained powerful spiritual insights as they have travelled this road.   Ali has shared many times that she knows God's hand is in her life and she has full confidence that He can heal her, she also knows that full confidence in Him is aligning her will with His.  To have faith like this in God,  brings greater peace to your life and meaning to adversity.  Ali and I talk often of angels who attend all of us as we journey on earth.  I think that heaven is very close to her and her family as so many prayers are being said in their behalf.     I'm assuming that most of us won't have cancer (or at least we won't be faced with it at such a young age) but, we will have other trials that are uniquely ours;  Gifts from God to grow closer to Him.   We can turn away and become angry. Or in humility we can turn towards Him and we can really come to know and believe that He is real.   Ali and Desi have been examples to me of turning to our Father in Heaven in a very difficult time.     One of the questions I asked myself on my drive home was..... if you don't know that God is real and wants to be involved in your life, if you haven't taken time to feel the power... what's your excuse?

I was having a hard time getting the video I took of Ali on our walk to load on the blog, so I resorted to this photo which obviously is not her.   I thought it would give you some perspective on what it's like for her.  Whenever she leaves her room (even to walk in the hospital halls) she has to wear a yellow hospital gown, sticky hospital gloves, and a big fluffy white mask that covers 3/4 of her face.   Even when she walks outside the hospital, she is dressed like this too.  Germs are dangerous for her with her immune system knocked out.



Now to the second thought I wanted to share.  Ali just feels better when she is moving.  She has cultivated a happy heart, toned muscles and also a mental determination required to do long distances.   She doesn't make excuses for herself (before or even now).   She is not a complainer, and doesn't accept whining.  She is tough and determined.   While I visited Ali we walked around outside the hospital 5 times (3 miles).    When she walks inside the hospital up on the floor, she still has to wear all of the gear that you see in the picture, and sometimes pull an IV pole with her.    The nurses said that 7 "laps" in the hall is a mile.  So the other day Ali did 4 miles inside (that's 28 laps around a nurses station).  I was again inspired by Ali and her attitude.  So below I created a dialogue of excuses we might make and Ali's come back for them.
The bottom line is:  What's your excuse for not going on a walk today?

                               
The  excuse:   "I'm too tired today"                
Ali's Voice:  "Try sleeping in a noisy hospital room"

The excuse:  "I don't feel like it"                                    
 Ali's voice: "Try having massive Chemo drugs in your body"
                                                                                 
The excuse:  "I look funny when I run"                                          
Ali's voice:  "If you wear a big mask and put on a gown,
                      no one will know who you are"

The excuse:  "I don't have a good place to exercise"            
Ali's voice:   "Hospital corridors work"

The excuse: "I get bored when I work out"                              
 Ali's voice:  "Try 28 times around the nurses station"        

The excuse:  "My (fill in the blank) hurts"                                
Ali's voice:   "Push through it, it will go away"                                                                                                                                                    
                     "You'll eventually build up your endurance"
                     "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
                     "Try sleeping in a hospital bed for a few weeks"

The excuse:  "I'm  afraid I won't finish the race"                              
Ali's voice:  "Don't talk to me about being afraid"

The excuse:  "I don't have a friend to go with"              
Ali's voice:  "You can take my IV pole if you want"

The excuse:  "This workout is really hard"          
Ali's voice:   "I know it's hard, but you CAN do it!"

The excuse:  "I don't have time"          
Ali's voice:  "If you shave your hair, you'll have at least 15
                      minutes more to work out everyday.

So, that might have sounded cheesy, but it's true.... Ali could have lots of excuses to sit in bed, but she doesn't.  She is a fighter.  And I'm so proud of her!  
                                                                                                                                                                    
Remember to log miles and send them in at the end of the month to 50kforali@gmail.com

I also wanted to share a few pictures from last weekend.
Pics from Sat. May 17th--We had a family wedding (Morgan and Chris)  and most of the family was able to see Ali during the day.

This picture is of Ali and most of her kids (except for the one who was playing in the State Championship Rugby game).



This picture is of the State Rugby Champions (Way to go Mateen!)



Grandma and Grandpa and 5 of the 8 siblings.






                        











2 comments:

  1. I miss that bunch up there! I have so many different memories of each one of you growing up. Thanks for keeping us all updated and I loved this post of excuses! Something that I most definitely needed right now in my life. Love you all and prayers are being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to pass on to Ali how inspiring she is! I am training for my first marathon and am 40 pounds overweight. Last weekend I completed a 22 mile run. When it got hard I thought of her! My marathon is in 2.5 weeks and I know it will be hard, but NO EXCUSES! Love your family so much! Nichole Bell Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete